After 77 agonizing years Great Britain FINALLY has a Wimbledon champion. World No. 2 and Britain's own Andy Murray disposed of World No. 1 Novak Djokovic 6-4, 7-5, 6-4 to claim the Wimbledon title at the All England Club. The last British player to win the prestigious grass-court tournament was Fred Perry in 1936.
Murray has now won 2 Grand Slam titles. He also won the 2012 U.S. Open. His two major titles are Great Britain's only 2 Grand Slam titles since the days of Fred Perry.
Here's a list of the few British players who have played in Grand Slam finals since 1936--
1. Bunny Austin - Lost 1937 French Open final.
2. Bunny Austin - Lost 1938 Wimbledon final.
3. John Lloyd - Lost 1977 Australian Open final.
4. Greg Rusedski - Lost 1997 U.S. Open final.
5. Andy Murray - Lost 2008 U. S. Open final.
6. Andy Murray - Lost 2010 Australian Open final.
7. Andy Murray - Lost 2011 Australian Open final.
8. Andy Murray - Lost 2012 Wimbledon final.
9. Andy Murray - Won 2012 U.S. Open.
10. Andy Murray - Lost 2013 Australian Open final.
11. Andy Murray - Won 2013 Wimbledon.
It's safe to say that Murray has AT LAST taken the WAIT and the WEIGHT of an entire nation off of his back. The Wimbledon drought is over! The Grand Slam drought is over!