The Cotton BowlArkansas 29 - Kansas St. 16
The No. 6 Razorbacks defeated the No. 8 Wildcats in what many (including me) consider the 5th BCS bowl game. Arkansas (11-2) completed a stellar and superb season where their only two losses came at the hands of No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Alabama on the road-- so by definition, the Hogs are the third best team in the nation, no doubt.
Here's the attendance comparison:
1. Rose Bowl - 91,245
2. Cotton Bowl - 80,956
3. Fiesta Bowl - 69,927
4. Orange Bowl - 67, 563
5. Sugar Bowl - 64, 512
*For the record, the Chick-fil-A Bowl (formerly known as the Peach Bowl) drew the third largest bowl crowd with 72,919 strong at the Georgia Dome. The Auburn Tigers defeated the Virginia Cavaliers, 43-24, in this monster bowl game.
Here are other honorable mentions--
- Texas Bowl - 68,395 (Texas A&M 33, Northwestern 22)
- Champs Sports Bowl - 68,305 (Florida State 18, Notre Dame 14)
- Alamo Bowl - 65,256 (Baylor 67, Washington 56)
- Capital One Bowl - 61,351 (South Carolina 30, Nebraska 13) [formerly, the Citrus Bowl]
- Gator Bowl - 61,312 (Florida 24, Ohio State 17)
And some people wonder why so many bowl games? It's a money-making machine, that's why!
NEXT UP: The BCS Championship Game between No. 1 LSU and No. 2 Alabama.