Moore played his last game last night for the Boise State Broncos in the Maaco Las Vegas Bowl, a 56-24 victory over the Arizona State Sun Devils. Moore leaves Boise State as the winningest quarterback in Division 1-A (FBS) history with an astonishing 50-3 record. Two of the 3 losses (2008, 2011) were to another powerhouse "mid-major", the TCU Horned Frogs, both losses by 1 point. The other loss was another heart-breaker to a very good Nevada team in 2010, 34-31. In other words, Moore and the Broncos came within a whisker of going 53-0 in his 4 years.
Here are the Broncos records in the 4 seasons Moore was at the helm:
- 2011 - 12-1 (WON Las Vegas Bowl vs. Arizona State, 56-24)
- 2010 - 12-1 (WON Las Vegas Bowl vs. Utah, 26-3)
- 2009 - 14-0 (WON Fiesta Bowl vs. TCU, 17-10)
- 2008 - 12-1 (LOST Poinsettia Bowl vs. TCU, 17-16)
During Moore's career, Boise State (a so-called mid-major) won the following games against some of college football's powerhouse programs--
- Sept. 3, 2011 - at #22 Georgia (W 35-21)
- Jan. 4, 2011 - vs. #3 TCU (W 17-10) [Fiesta Bowl]
- Sept. 25, 2010 - vs. Oregon State (W 37-24)
- Sept. 6, 2010 - at #6 Virginia Tech (W 33-30)
- Sept. 3, 2009 - vs. #14 Oregon (W 19-8)
- Sept. 20, 2008 - at #12 Oregon (W 37-32)
And let's face it, the only reason why the Broncos haven't won more games against other Power-6 conference teams is because nobody wants any part of them. All the major programs know that accepting an invitation to play Boise State means a strong possibility of a loss and nobody wants to put a dent on their national title hopes.