Djokovic defeated World No. 8 Mardy Fish 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 in the final to win the Rogers Cup in Montreal. In the process, Djokovic captured his 5th ATP Masters 1000 event of the year, setting a new ATP record. No player had ever won this many events in the Masters 1000 Series in a single season. This was also his second Rogers Cup title as he also won the event in 2007.
Here's a look at his Masters 1000 results for 2011 thus far:
- Pacific Life Open - defeated Rafael Nadal in the Final.
- Sony Ericsson Open - defeated Rafael Nadal in the Final.
- Madrid Open - defeated Rafael Nadal in the Final.
- Italian Open - defeated Rafael Nadal in the Final.
- Rogers Cup - defeated Mardy Fish in the Final.
Djokovic is now an astonishing 53-1 in 2011. What else is there to say? The guy is virtually unbeatable right now. My goodness!
On the women's side--
With her long absence and her inability to defend her 2010 Wimbledon title (mostly due to rust), Serena fell out of the Top 100 in the rankings. But with her win in Stanford she climbed back to No. 80 and now with her BIG win in Toronto, she will climb down to No. 31 when the new rankings come out tomorrow.
Not that it matters to her anyway, ranked or not ranked, Serena can beat just about anybody on any given day when she's healthy and on her game. No doubt about that.