Here are some of the things I'm looking forward to this season:
|Getty Images/AP Photo|
1) Derek Jeter's 3000th hit. The Yankee captain should reach the milestone by mid-June as he finished 2010 with 2926 hits after 15 full seasons. For the record, the great Pete Rose had 2966 hits after 15 full seasons. If the captain hangs around until he's 42, he may challenge Rose's all-time record (4256) in 2016.
2) The Fantastic Four. Put simply: Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels. Attention National League: BEWARE OF THE ABOVE FOUR. 'Nuff said!
3) The mighty Red Sox. Something tells me the boys from Beantown may still be around come Halloween.
4) Miguel Cabrera. What kind of year is the now-sober Cabrera gonna have? Did someone say AL MVP?
5) The Brew Crew. With Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun and Corey Hart in da house, there is excitement in Milwaukee. I haven't seen this much hope in Brewer Nation since the days of Harvey's Wallbangers in the early 80's, which to me, is still the greatest team NEVER to win a championship.
6) The Atlanta Braves. How will the Bobby Cox-less era look like? It's been a looooooong time in Atlanta since anyone other than the old man patrolled the dugout.
7) Last but not least, I'm looking forward to another year of the never-lost-for-words Ozzie Guillen and his Chicago White Sox. Ozzie's classic one-liners never get old, that's for sure.
Anyway, I could go on and on but there's a lot of baseball to be played and as we all know anything is possible. I'm sure there are going to be some surprise players and some surprise teams making some thunder this year. It always happens and that's part of the beauty of the game.
To be continued....