2011 BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
The Auburn Tigers captured their second ever national championship (1957 was the other) on a last second field goal as time expired. The score was 19-19 with .02 seconds left, when Auburn kicked the field goal that broke the hearts of Oregon Nation. What a game!
As for the Oregon Ducks, they have nothing to be ashamed of. They left it all on the field last night, but in the end only one team can win. What a bummer.
The SEC has now won an eye-popping five consecutive BCS National Championships and seven overall since the formation of the BCS in 1998. The prior SEC schools to win it all are: Alabama (2010), Florida (2007, 2009), LSU (2004, 2008) and Tennessee (1999).
With Auburn's win, the state of Alabama won it's second consecutive national championship with the Alabama Crimson Tide winning it last year.
So the question is: Can anyone stop the SEC? No question they are on a championship run of epic proportions.
Here are the final Top 10 rankings in the AP Poll, just released today:
1. Auburn (14-0) - Won the BCS National Championship Game
2. TCU (13-0) - Won the Rose Bowl
3. Oregon (12-1) - Lost the BCS National Championship Game
4. Stanford (12-1) - Won the Orange Bowl
5. Ohio State (12-1) - Won the Sugar Bowl
6. Oklahoma (12-2) Won the Fiesta Bowl
7. Wisconsin (11-2) - Lost the Rose Bowl
8. LSU (11-2) - Won the Cotton Bowl
9. Boise State (12-1) - Won the Las Vegas Bowl
10. Alabama (10-3) - Won the Capital One Bowl (or as I still call it, the Citrus Bowl).
I guess the only thing left is for unbeaten Auburn and unbeaten TCU to play one game for all the marbles. Call it the "Beyond A Reasonable Doubt National Title Game".
Wouldn't that be fun to watch?