- The 3-0 crew. Because in this business, it starts with great pitching and ends with great pitching.
Matt Garza (3-0, 0.75 ERA, 19 K); Roy Halladay (3-0, 1.13 ERA, 21 K); Tim Lincecum (3-0, 0.90 ERA, 24 K); Ubaldo Jimenez (3-0, 1.29 ERA, 20 K, no-hitter); Adam Wainwright (3-0, 1.50 ERA, 22 K).
- Nelson Cruz - Texas Rangers (7 HR, 15 RBI, .317 AVG): Beware of this man!
- Miguel Cabrera - Detroit Tigers (3 HR, 14 RBI, .360 AVG): Cabrera was having a Hall of Fame career on booze, imagine what he's capable of doing now that he's off the bottle.
- Vernon Wells (6 HR, 11 RBI, .333 AVG): Hope Wells continues this torrid pace and has a monster year.
- Chase Utley (6 HR, 12 RBI, .341 AVG): I don't think even Utley knows how great he can be.
- The Philadelphia Phillies (78 Runs, 75 RBI): Is it too early to send the rest of the National League on vacation?
- The Tampa Bay Rays (first team to 10 wins): Small market, low payroll and can do DAMAGE. Gotta love the little guys!
But anyway, the season is still young and there's a lot of baseball to be played. The usual suspects (i.e. the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers) will have a say in this before it's all said and done.
Those guys always figure out a way to be in the conversation.
To be continued....
Photos courtesy of Getty Images<>