2009-10 NFC CHAMPIONS
New Orleans Saints 31 - Minnesota Vikings 28 in OT
What a game! I have to admit, after it was over, I had to drink a couple of aspirins because this game gave me a splitting headache. Watching Brett Favre take a beating the way he did and a sloppy Adrian Peterson fumbling all over the place, I guess, was too much to bear. And in the end, the Vikings should have still won the game. Wow!
When Favre threw an interception in the final seconds of the 4th quarter (when he could have ran with the ball and put the Vikings in range for a winning field goal) brought only one word to my mind-- DESTINY. I guess, for the Saints-- it was just meant to be. Don't know how else to describe it?
This is the first ever Super Bowl appearance for the New Orleans Saints (est. 1967). It's been a long wait for Saints' fans, but the day has finally arrived.
With the Saints Super Bowl berth, the list of teams who have never appeared in a Super Bowl just got smaller.
Only 4 remain:
- The Detroit Lions (est. 1929)
- The Cleveland Browns (est. 1946)*
- The Jacksonville Jaguars (est. 1994)
- The Houston Texans (est. 2002)
* The Browns are officially viewed as one continuous franchise which began in 1946 (joining the NFL in 1950). They suspended operations from 1996-1998 and resumed play in 1999. The Baltimore Ravens (2000 Super Bowl champions) are viewed as an expansion team created in 1996 with former Browns players. In my view, the team was put together in Cleveland and moved to Baltimore (after a controversial settlement between the NFL and then-owner Art Modell)-- so in my book, the original Browns franchise technically reached a Super Bowl. But I guess that's a story for another day-- right now the moment belongs to the Saints.
Congrats to coach Sean Payton, QB Drew Brees and the rest of the Saints. They ain't "The Ain'ts" no more!
And then there's Brett Favre....
What will Favre do now? Will he retire? Will he come back for one more season? My gut feeling is-- we're going to be hearing his name a lot come this spring.
I say, what the heck! Come back Brett! You've given us a great show so far.
Photos courtesy of Getty Images
Stats courtesy of Wikipedia