- Everyone, including Cliff Lee himself, was surprised about the move. Rumor has it that the Phillies felt Lee was going to ask for too much money after next season. So they decided to dump him now and stock up the farm system which they tore up to get Halladay and Lee back in the summer. Ok. I could see the method to their madness.
- The biggest losers in this trade were the Blue Jays' fans. Halladay was their lone bright spot; the face of their team; the face of baseball in Canada.
- Can't blame Halladay for accepting the trade. He's the best pitcher in baseball and deserves: 1) to be in a winning atmosphere and 2) to get paid!
2) Chone Figgins signs with the Mariners and John Lackey signs with the Boston Red Sox.
- What is going on with the Los Angeles Angels? Figgins and Lackey were the last two members of the 2002 World Series champions who were still with the team. Well actually, if I'm not mistaken Scot Shields is still with the team, although he was injured most of last season. Don't quite know what Shields' story is but are the Angels starting to fall apart?
3) The Yankees get Curtis Granderson in a 3-team trade. They send Ian Kennedy to Arizona and Phil Coke to Detroit.
- Wasn't Ian Kennedy one of their 3 untouchables (along with Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain) when they refused to trade for Johan Santana. Anyway--
4)The Chicago Cubs trade Milton Bradley to the Mariners for Carlos Silva.
- What was this all about? I'll trade you my headache for your headache?
5) The Red Sox sign Mike Cameron and the Yankees are on the brink of signing Nick Johnson.
- Can someone explain this to me? The two teams with the deepest pockets are throwing Johnny Damon and Jason Bay under the bus?
6) Placido Polanco signs with the Phillies.
- Good bat. Good glove. Good move. I'm assuming Polanco is going to play third base.
7) Brian Schneider leaves the Mets and signs with the Phillies.
- As a "somewhat" loyal Mets fan, this one I knew about. Schneider leaves a starting job with the Mets to become a back-up with the Phillies. His reasons: 1) he grew up a Phillies fan in Allentown, PA.; 2) he wants to win a world championship; 3) he wanted to be back home. Ok, I could live with some of that, but-- hey Brian, Allentown is only a 2 hour drive from NYC, its not like you were playing in Seattle to be feeling home sick.
8) The Minnesota Twins trade Carlos Gomez to the Milwaukee Brewers for J.J. Hardy.
- Wasn't Gomez one of the "bright" prospects the Twins got in the Johan Santana trade? Hmmm?
9) The Chicago White Sox get Juan Pierre in a trade with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Ok. This could work.
10) Last but not least, The Twins trade Boof Bonsor to the Red Sox for a player to be named later.
- Sorry. I just like saying the guy's name. B-o-o-f B-o-n-s-o-r
Ok. If I've missed any important "hot stove" moves, feel free to let me know.
Photo courtesy of mlb.com